Tuesday, May 8, 2012

STRANGE GIVEN NAME DELIBERATE


"I'm sorry son. It's on your birth certificate"

Searching through back issues of the Detroit Free Press, we found an interview with auto magnate and former Michigan Governor, George Romney.

“Of course I gave him the name Willard,” said the “elder” Romney, smoothing back his silver mane.  “I figured it couldn’t hurt him to get beat up a little … makes ‘em stronger, that’s what I think.  Besides, I am not going to be outgunned by some punk kid.”

Romney Sr. was stunned when his son started using his middle name “Mitt.”  “I gave him that name as a joke.  Like he was going to become a major league catcher or something…the Willard thing:  isn’t there some bald fat guy weatherman named Willard?”

It is not just Romney’s father that thinks Willard is a weird name.  Commentator KC Robertson said  “Would you name a dog Willard? Any wonder Willard “Mitt” Romney tries to conceal his name. It’s a bigger secret than Barack’s birthplace. Nobody likes a Willard.

No comments:

Post a Comment